Saturday, August 4, 2012

Freezer Meals...the beginning

I was inspired by fellow bloggers and my financial needs this month to be frugal. With car insurance & student loan payments starting in August my budget was super tight. After mulling it over I decided that with diligent ad study, smart consumerism & detailed planning, I could feed my family for one month with only $100.

In order to accomplish this I decided to make freezer meals! Here is my list of meals:
Spaghetti (4 meals)
Teriyaki Chicken (2 meals)
Chicken & Bean Chili (3 meals)
Slow-Cooked Beef Fajitas (2 meals)
Chicken Pot Pie (4-5 meals)
Chicken Enchiladas (2 meals)
BBQ Pork (2 meals)
Breakfast Burritos (10 count)

{Each bag was labeled}

I will post the recipes next month because I want to make sure they actually work out and taste yummy :) 

Using the local store ads I complied my spreadsheet to price match at WalMart. 

For most of the veggies, I bought a Bountiful Basket for only $15. If you'd like to know more about how awesome Bountiful Baskets are, click the link. 

Calin & I hit the store bright and early Saturday morning. What we couldn't price match at WalMart we bought at Smith's.


The total of my receipts (minus a few misc & household costs)
  $64.59

I made sure to leave some wiggle room for milk, cereal, bread & any pregnancy cravings throughout the month.Using a few items from my pantry, we were ready to start cookin'!


I used notes to keep track of when to check on different foods. Cooking a bunch of meals at one time is definitely not easy!








Filling the pot pies.









It is important to write how to finish cooking your meals :) 

This is one of the pot pies


I used my lemonade pitcher to hold up the bags. Otherwise I would have needed at least 3 hands.
This picture was taken before I was completely finished with all the meals. Pretend there are 3 more pies, 2 enchilada meals & 10 breakfast burritos :)










Calin was such a HUGE help today! He ventured where no husband would dare venture :) Price match shopping at Walmart, cooking, frying, stewing, chopping & baking... ALL DAY LONG. Thanks Honey! You are the greatest husband and will be an amazing daddy

We started at 8:30am & finished up around 7pm

Tired feet & a sore back but a month's worth of meals finished and ready to be eaten! 

No comments:

Post a Comment