Friday, February 22, 2013

a Birth story

January 21, 2013


Induction day!
Zero nerves until 15 minutes to departure time.
I gave Bubba Bruce one last hug and kiss...laughing and crying at the same time.



8:20pm ~ arrive at U of U hospital
8:45pm ~ hospital gown, IV & ready for take off
9:31pm ~ induction officially started
4 hours later...
1:31am ~ dilated to a 3 & meds added to IV to get things going
got some sleep...
5:16am ~ got an epidural--ah relief!
5:45am ~ 7 centimeters
6:59am ~ paging Dr. Sok
7:30am ~ started pushing
8:29am ~ baby Dean arrives


So, you know how in movies the lady gets an epidural and then sneezes out her child...? Well, that is NOT how it happens. I was embarrassed the second Dean was born when I realized I had been screaming, "I CAN'T DO THIS!"

Standing next to me, was my biggest support system. Calin stayed calm through the entire delivery. Every time I would scream that I couldn't do this, he was the first to say, "Yes you can!" I remember looking at him just before Dean popped out and thinking, "wow, he is going to be a great dad" (and he is).


Holding my little man for the first time was beautiful. His tiny hands, bigfoot feet & button nose stole my heart. Instantly I was Mom.

While I'm still learning what being Mom really means, I am loving every sleepless second of it! Welcome to our family Dean Calin Hess. I love you now and forever.

First Picture taken

Daddy and Dean meeting

and Baby makes three

capturing the few moments he actually slept our first night



tiny hand

all bundled up and ready to come home

Fun story: the night we came home from the hospital was the same night as the ice storm. It wasn't too bad until 2 streets away from our house. Our car struggled inch by inch to make it up to David Blvd with only one street to go, we started up and the car slide back down. I was in the back seat crying (of course...) Such a traumatic way to come home, right?

We ended up having to leave our car and my mom came and got us in her 4-Wheel Drive car :)





No comments:

Post a Comment